Here are 10 easy to follow diet tips for easy, sustainable and healthy weight loss. There may be 100s of diets( majorly being Fad diets) and 100 other ways promising quick fix solutions to weight loss but if you go by scientific research and my long experience in the field, these tips are going to come very handy……
1. Reduce your portions by using smaller plates, asking for a small ice cream cone, beverage or sandwich instead of a large, splitting main dish at a restaurant with a friend or ordering a lunch-size portion even at dinner. It’s better to take a fixed portion on to the plate and not eat directly from the serving bowl. Do you know just 2 cookies or small biscuits more than your requirement in a day will make you put on 5 Kgs in a year and 25 Kgs in 5 years? So we need to take care of our serving sizes.
2. Increase the volume. Choose low-fat, high-fiber foods which fill you up with minimal calories. Fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes are high-volume foods that not only help trim your waistline but also provide nutrients essential for health.
3. Add fruits and vegetables to all your meals. Add one fruit or vegetable to every meal, and you'll be on your way to lower blood pressure and improved health. Try apples for breakfast, raw cucumber or carrots with lunch and fruit salad with dinner.
4. Hydrate yourself. Get a water bottle and carry it with you everywhere you go. You'll find yourself drinking water while you're driving, at your desk, during meetings and watching TV. Drinking water instead of coffee, soda, fruit punch or other sweetened beverages saves calories as it keeps your body functioning optimally. Drinking lukewarm water is even better.
5. Go Vegan majorly. Eat meatless meals for at least 5 days per week or more. Choose a paneer/mushroom curry instead of chicken or mutton curry, vegetable sandwich in place of a chicken sandwich, veggie burger instead of hamburger. You'll consume less fat and saturated fat, plus increase your fiber intake!
6. Enhance your Breakfast Studies show people who start the day with breakfast cereal have higher intakes of vitamins and fiber and lower intakes of fat and saturated fat. For the healthiest cereal, choose one with at least five grams of fiber and no more than eight grams sugar per serving. Pour on skim milk for a double bonus!
7. Don’t eat before the tube Stop eating meals while watching TV or snacking during your favorite show. Research plus common sense tells us we eat more when we're watching the tube.
8. Not 3 but 5. Have at least 5 small meals a day in place of 3 big ones to keep your metabolic rate high which in turn helps in weight loss. A good day’s diet should have small and frequent meals i.e.5 meals in the day rather than 3 big meals. We need to learn to have the Best Breakfast, Nutritious Midmorning snack, Good Lunch, Light Evening snack with beverage and an Early Dinner every day.
9. Pack your meals. Instead of buying lunch every day, or worse yet, skipping lunch altogether, pack your lunch as far as possible. Make a sandwich with whole grain bread, a chapatti roll with lots of veggies, salad like sliced cucumbers and tomatoes, and grated carrots. Add a piece of fresh fruit. Satisfy your sweet tooth with yogurt or fat-free pudding and your need for crunch with soya sticks, murmura ,almonds ,or may be just a little ‘saunf’( fennel seeds). You'll save money and eat less fat, salt and sugar.
10. Do not fast, do not feast. Neither skip meals nor have everything in one meal. We need to learn to eat when we are hungry & stop when sufficiently full. We need to learn to self-regulate.